The National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention designated the Friday before Memorial Day as “Don’t Fry Day” to raise awareness of skin cancer prevention and to encourage everyone throughout the United States to protect their skin while enjoying the outdoors.
In observance of Don’t Fry Day, the National Council invites you to send us your best shot (photo).
You have two opportunities to submit photos.
1. Submit photos before Don’t Fry Day (Friday, May 25) of your best sun protection ideas.
2. Submit photos on or after Don’t Fry Day showing how you observed the day.
Guidelines for Submitting Photos
1. Photos must demonstrate effective skin cancer prevention actions. Actions include:
• Avoid sun burning, intentional tanning, and using tanning beds;
• Wear sun-protective clothing, a wide-brimmed hat, and UV-blocking sunglasses;
• Generously Apply Sunscreen. Use a broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher sunscreen;
• Seek shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM; and
• Use extra caution near water, snow, and sand, as UV rays can reflect off these surfaces.
2. Photos may not show or endorse any commercial brand names of the products, attire, or materials.
3. Photos must be your original work on which you control all the rights.
4. Include a sentence or two description about the photo and where it was taken.
How to Submit Photos
2. Read the guidelines for submitting a photo
3. Click on the tab “Submit a Photo”
4. Upload your photo from your computer or phone camera
5. Add a caption or sentence in the text box
6. Complete the entry form
7. Click Continue to post your photo
Ideas for Photo Submission
Below are several ideas of the types of pictures you can submit. We’re sure you can think of many more creative ideas.
• Funny or serious
• Sports field – teams
• Ski slopes
• Schools/clubs – class photo
• Organizations, businesses, office -group photo
• Vacation places
• Foreign countries
• Boy/girl scouts
• Medical professionals
• School mascots
• “Don’t Fry Day” sign (print out the attached sign on the bottom of this page)
Use of Photos
By submitting your photo you grant all members of the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right and license to publish, display, reproduce and create derivative works of your photo in any media now or hereafter known for any purpose consistent with the mission of the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention. You represent and warrant that you own the photo and/or have the right to grant the license to the members set forth above. You agree that you will indemnify the members of the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention for a breach of this representation and warranty.
The National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention retains the discretionary right to remove posted photos in order to ensure the integrity of the Don’t Fry Day campaign, and campaign messages.
The National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention does not endorse or recommend any commercial products or services.